Planning the perfect wedding means expressing your unique vision for the day. From flowers and food to music and dancing, this once-in-a-lifetime event is a chance to create a memorable time for your guests. Of the many decisions to make, perhaps none is more important than the location.
It’s no wonder so many couples are choosing to say “I Do” in Ontario’s wine country. Whether the bride wants an elegant exchange of vows among the vines, or the groom prefers a luxurious reception in a grand chateau, there’s something for everyone to love about a wine country wedding. The scenery and the excellent wine both go without saying, but having everything in one place makes a vineyard wedding a breeze to plan, even for a large group of guests.
Get that homey feeling
« Everyone, even hardcore city folks, tend to feel well-grounded when they spend a bit of time in the country », says Caroline Granger, of The Grange of Prince Edward Vineyards and Estate Winery. « Here, we like to think our weddings have a warm and cosy feeling you might not easily get from, say, a hotel venue in a downtown location. It helps make this most important day even more memorable for the newlyweds and their guests ».
Weddings in Twenty Valley
From the escarpment to the vineyards, Twenty Valley is known for its picturesque backdrops of rolling hills and rustic barns any time of the year. Peninsula Ridge is the perfect venue for small and intimate weddings. Hernder Estate offers all-inclusive winter and summer wedding packages. Sue-Ann Staff Estate Winery provides a dreamy outdoor location, with a tented reception. Vineland Estates Winery offers customizable weddings packages, and assists with personalized labeled wine gifts. Can’t choose between an indoor or outdoor wedding? Calamus Estate offers three different locations on their property.
Weddings in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Niagara-on-the-Lake is famous for its romantic scenery and natural beauty, which stuns visitors in every season. The area is filled with talented caterers, musicians, florists, and other professionals who can make your day perfect, and there are several top-tier hotels to choose from for your guests’ comfort. Caroline Cellars Winery offers customizable, all-inclusive wedding packages. For a rustic winery and vineyard backdrop, try The Hare Wine Co., or check out Chateau des Charmes for expert advice on creating a gourmet menu and wine selection for a memorable reception.
Weddings in Prince Edward County
The unforgettable water views from this island make an extraordinary backdrop for a wedding. Though easy to reach, the region feels like a romantic world away from everyday life. From beachside weddings to garden parties with outstanding local wines, Prince Edward County offers several excellent vineyard venues. For a rustic barn setting nestled among rolling hills, try the Grange of Prince Edward Vineyard and Estate Winery. Sprawling Waupoos Estate Winery can accommodate a large wedding party, while Casa-Dea Estates Winery offers a vineyard pergola allowing your wedding photos to be picture perfect!
Weddings in Lake Erie North Shore
Questions to Ask Before Booking
Some wineries offer full-service wedding services, including everything from changing rooms, transportation (horse-drawn carriage, anyone?), and on-site catering services with local business partners. Other vineyards offer just a breathtaking location, leaving details up to the couple. To help with planning, here are some important questions to ask before booking a wedding venue.
• What is the rental fee, and what does it include? Is there a discount for off-peak times?
• What’s the maximum number of guests allowed?
• What’s the included time period for use of the property? Can extra time be added?
• What happens if the weather is bad? Are there contingency plans in place?
• Is in-house catering available? Is it required?
• Are alcoholic beverages other than the winery’s products allowed?
• Is photography allowed on all parts of the property?
• Are facilities accessible for guests with mobility challenges? What about restrooms?
• Is the parking ample and convenient?
• Are minors allowed to attend events at the winery?
More Vineyard Wedding Tips
• Always visit the winery in person before booking. The best way to know if a venue is right for you is to get a feel for the atmosphere and the friendliness of the staff. Of course, tasting the wine first is always a great idea!
• Choose a menu that reflects the seasonal offerings of surrounding farms for a true farm-to-table experience. Most vineyards are happy to help highlight local produce.
• Consider adding a tour of the winery and a wine tasting to the festivities. Guests will never forget this special perk, and most vineyard owners love to talk about their craft.
• For a wonderful favor, give guests a bottle of VQA wine with a customized label to celebrate the day. Many wineries offer this service — just be sure the label art keeps with the overall tone of the wedding.
Whether formal or rustic, DIY or all-inclusive, an Ontario winery makes an unforgettable wedding location to start married life off right!